Saturday, July 3, 2010

Pretty, Pink, Fingers!



Early this week I was able to sneak away for an hour and get a much needed manicure/pedicure. It had been over two months and I was desperate. When I got home Avery immediately noticed. And all week she would say, "Mommy...look at those pretty pink nails!!" After about the 100th time I asked her if she would like to go to the salon and get hers done. Her next question, "Is that what big girls do?" My reply, "yes."

So, we made it to the nail salon right when they opened Saturday morning. Avery was ecstatic! "Oh. My. Goodness!" was her reaction as we walked into the door. She went straight to the polish and picked out a beautiful pink. She met another Big Girl (ten years old) and together they sat and Avery asked lots of questions. The cutest thing was that the Big Girl shook her polish and Avery copied! She shook that bottle the whole time we waited.

When it was her turn she sat so still and used her best big girl manners. She loved it and every lady in the place commented on how adorable she was. Now here is the silly part.... I could barely mutter a thank you because I was so emotional. I had no idea it was possible to get teary over your daughters first manicure. Leave it to me! She just looked so grown up and it was one of those things I have always thought would be so much fun for us to do together. In my mind I pictured us girls sneaking out for the morning and get our nails done while the boys play at home. Gosh, it was a sweeter moment that I had imagined and just reminds me that its those little things in life that make the journey so wonderful.

On a lighter note, the manicurist was chewing gum while painting Avery's nails. Avery asked her what she was eating and the sweet woman offered Avery a piece. She was thrilled to see the gum was pink too! She chewed it the the whole time her nails were being painted and the second we walked out the door she asked me to throw it away!







This first was such a fun way to kick off the holiday weekend. Now on to enjoy it with our boys!

1 comment:

Carrie Beth said...

Oh my goodness!!!!!! She is such a big girl to go get her nails done and I love that she was so excited. Just one of the many fun things we get to do with our girls. :-) I loved the story of last night's backyard adventure too. Catching lightening bugs brings back lots of memories for me as a child too.