Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A lot sweet and a little bit sassy



I have to admit I am a little bit embarrassed to write this post. However, I think it is necessary to blog this humbling and a tad bit funny moment.

Over the weekend, Trevor and I decided to take the kids out to dinner at a sushi restaurant (inside the perimeter). Trevor was a bit hesitant since it is a bit fancier than the normal establishments we frequent. I was able to convince him to make the trip because a) we had a groupon b) there were fish tanks that I believed would entertain the children and c) we were going early enough there was certainly not going to be a crowd. From the go things were fantastic. The kids were fascinated by the fish tanks. They loved the edamame, and we were one of three families eating dinner at 5:30. Our service was outstanding and we even ventured out and Trevor had a drink while I sipped a glass of wine. We ordered and things were still going smoothly. Then, the waiter brought out the kids meal. Avery's eyes were bulging (the girl LOVES seafood). She was THRILLED! Then it happened... out of her mouth in a crescendo came the words, " SHUT UP, SHUT UP, This is AWESOME!" Wow we were taken back by the volume and the words spoken! Trevor and I were speechless and the waiter was a little tickled! As soon as he left, we clearly explained the words "shut up" were not polite and that we should not say them. When I asked her where she heard them she couldn't tell me. I racked my brain and could not possibly think of anyone we know that talks like that. I mean, shut up in a positive way?? I felt half bad for reprimanding her but that is just not appropriate for a three year old. In a nutshell, dinner was superb! The kids loved their food and had a great time. We would do it again in a heartbeat and just hope to have better word choices next time.

Monday night I was telling a friend about our weekend fiasco and she informed me that the Disney Channel after 6:30 has a few shows that commonly use those exact same words. I guess it is time for the parental controls! And, I will tell you that last week (I promise I am not making excuses) our dog was ill, diagnosed with colitis to be exact, and while I was cleaning up after the dog and putting the baby boy to bed I was guilty of letting my girl watch unsupervised television! I promise not to do that again!!!


And... on a side note, Dylan is calling me when he wakes up! So exciting! I just can't get him out of his crib fast enough when I hear those words, "Mama, mama!"

3 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

This got me so tickled. Sweet girl was EXCITED about that seafood.

Carrie Beth said...

Well I guess now you know where she got it from. Hopefully it won't come out of her mouth again. :-)

Samantha said...

Oh dear -- I think every parent has that experience at least once, though, and it could be worse than "shut up." ;-) I'm waiting to see what Tyler comes up with being at school.. Dylan is so cute in his boots -- how sweet that he's calling for you!